Monday, 13 August 2012

Really Old Clothes

I left a case of really old clothes in my aunt's shed 2 years ago and never got around to sorting them out until this week. The overall state of them was disturbing her a little so it was time to find them a new home.

I bought the case pretty rashly in an auction without knowing anything about the clothes or their condition, which was stupid, but I don't really regret it because they're super pretty and sort of ghostly looking. I guess I presumed I could sell them, but I didn't realise their condition was quite so bad.

The white dress in the center seems to shred every time I even think about it so I couldn't get a good shot of it. It has the most exquisite beading around the hem but the weight of it is causing the chiffon shell to fall apart.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to pre-1920s clothes so I really can't say too much about them. Two of them appear to be wedding dresses - tiny, tiny wedding dresses. I vaguely remember that when I looked at them the first time around one of them had a date written in pen on the inside that said 1913. There's a fancy red coat like a hunting jacket or something, a brown 1920s dress, and two dresses from the 1950s, which I might try to clean up a bit.

I'd love to know more about this jacket, it's so fancy.




The skirt on this dress is so full that it was hard to fit it all in shot. Black beading sweeps down the side from underneath a velvet bow. The matching bodice is tiny. This piece isn't as old as the others and features a metal zip. The others mostly have hook and eye fastenings.



No comments:

Post a Comment